Building Healthy Communities
St John of God Health Care continues to invest in redevelopments at our existing hospitals to provide for expanded services and improvements to overall patient and caregiver experience.
Our building projects are a significant aspect of our commitment to strengthening the communities in which we operate. By providing new and innovative services, we can deliver our distinctive, quality care to more people.
St John of God Bendigo Hospital
- St John of God Bendigo Hospital continued its $41 million redevelopment project that is extending the existing three levels of the hospital and adding 46 new beds. The project is also delivering a new operating theatre, refurbishment of 69 existing rooms, façade and front reception, as well as upgraded parking facilities.
- The project was completed during the year with the formal commissioning activities and blessing ceremony occurring in June 2017.
St John of God Berwick Hospital
Greenfield development 2015-2018
- Construction of the new facility jointly owned with Generation Healthcare REIT commenced in January 2016.
- The new facility will increase the capacity of St John of God Berwick Hospital from 74 beds to 190 and from four theatres to six, with potential to increase to more than 300 beds in future developments.
- The existing St John of God Berwick Hospital will undergo its own redevelopment to provide additional services when the new facility is completed.
- Construction of the new facility is on schedule for completion in late 2017 with commissioning activities programmed to have the facility open for patients in January 2018.
St John of God Geelong Hospital
- St John of God Geelong Hospital continued its $21 million project to upgrade and expand its facilities to provide for enhanced cardiac services.
- The project includes a new eight-bed intensive care unit with capacity to expand to 12 beds, as well as refurbishment of the existing critical care unit.
St John of God Mt Lawley Hospital
- Post acquisition upgrade 2015-2017
- St John of God Mt Lawley Hospital continued its redevelopment to upgrade various areas of the facility post the transfer from MercyCare in May 2014.
- Upgrade works in theatre areas and the central sterile supply department were completed in late 2015 and early 2016, with upgrades to the medical records area commencing in July 2016.
St John of God Murdoch Hospital
Redevelopment: 2011-2014 (stage one), 2014-2018 (stages two and three)
- Stage two of the three-stage redevelopment project continued during the year with the completion of three of the six ward refurbishments as well as the completion of the chapel and foyer upgrades.
St John of God Subiaco Hospital
Early stage redevelopment 2016‑2017
- St John of God Subiaco Hospital commenced master planning activities toward its next major redevelopment project. Early stage enabling works have been completed, which included the relocation of tenants and demolition of St John of God House. The target date for finalisation of planning and a formal redevelopment Board submission is late 2017-18.
St John of God Hauora Trust – St John of God Karori
- Remediation of part of the Karori site in Wellington, New Zealand, to strengthen the overall structure and meet seismic requirements for buildings in the area.
- Works will also include a minor reconfiguration of the facility to improve operational efficiency and an expansion of three beds to capitalise on demand for services.