St John of God Bunbury Hospital
- Introduced renal dialysis treatment management system, enabling patients to transfer clinical and treatment data through their own personal smart card when treated at our hospital and Fiona Stanley Hospital.
- Commenced one of three WA regional Suicide Prevention Coordinator positions.
- Commenced Methamphetamine Nurse position working in the public hospital Emergency Department.
- Commence a Hepatitis C Community Nurse position to support general practitioners, specialists and the patients and their families.
- Upgraded the respiratory and sleep studies equipment.
- Implemented an electronic discharge system to improve communication to patients, referring general practitioners and specialists.
- Achieved increased uptake of the Australian Government’s electronic health records for cancer, dialysis and cardiac patients and worked closely with general practitioners.
- Renewed our Arts program with the Bunbury City Council to improve appreciation and awareness of the works of art by patients and visitors.
- Increased the routine use of telehealth, particularly for regional palliative care patients and general practitioners.
- Recruited resident orthopaedic surgeon, general surgeon and ophthalmologist to Bunbury.
- Commenced surgical service registrar position to support our specialist surgeons.
- Continued 24-hour Hospitalist General Physician Cover to support general physicians and general practitioners.
- Undertook 1,078 clinical research nurse hours throughout the year and commenced a bariatric research role.
- Continued participation in the national Palliative Care Outcomes Collaborative, gaining recognition as one of the top 10 providers in Australia.
- Renae Hartmann commenced as Volunteer Coordinator.
- Raised $250,000 for the South West Cancer and Coronary Care Campaign.
- Caregivers volunteered for the inaugural Great South West Bed Race, raising $30,000 for the South West Coronary Care and the South West Cancer services. This year the funds were used to purchase a DigniCap® to minimise hair loss during chemotherapy.
- Supported theatre nurses and doctors providing outreach services in North West Australia and overseas.
- Donated theatre equipment, pharmaceuticals and consumables to surgical nurses, anaesthetists and surgeons providing services in remote Western Australia and overseas.
- Commenced a permanent presence in the Cancer Accommodation Centre. A total of 2,678 overnight accommodations for 210 patients and guests were supported by our volunteers at the South West Cancer Accommodation Centre, with 136 new bookings over the year.
- Provided 35,710 kms travel for South West residents to travel from home to Bunbury for cancer services.
- Expand the cardiac and intervention services provided by the hospital to include cardiac pacemaker services.
- Commence a limited emergency cardiac angiography service.
- Partner with and support new regional specialists to increase their availability to private patients, and also support regional general practitioners.
- Transition our Community Drug and Alcohol Service and expand its services to meet the needs of our communities.
- Advance community awareness of the cancer and cardiac services available in the South West through the Great South West Bed Race.
- Improve services to support elderly patients and families as they transition from our hospital.
- Commence a home-based nursing service in obstetrics and orthopaedics to support families and patients after discharge.
- Work with general practitioners to identify and recruit medical specialists to meet the growing needs of our ageing community in the South West.
Location: Robertson Dve and Bussell Hwy, Bunbury
Chief Executive Officer: Mr Mark Grime
Medical Advisory Chair: Dr Peter Bairstow
Accredited doctors: 338
Theatres and procedure rooms: Five theatres and one cardiac interventional laboratory
Services: Cardiac services, Intervention cardiology, cancer treatment services, renal dialysis unit, elective surgery, general medicine, palliative care, obstetrics, allied health and drug and alcohol services.