St John of God Burwood Hospital
- Completed Models of Care project, revising each clinical program to ensure a direct match to the National Mental Health Recovery Framework and the John of God Health Care Mission. Pex survey results showed 93% of patients would recommend Burwood Hospital to a family member or friend.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) program expanded to increase community-based consumer wellness and reduce unnecessary hospitalisations.
- Sleep Study Service initiated, aiming for early identification of the problem and initiation of appropriate treatment for mental health patients.
- Introduction of the Pharmacist Patient Education Program.
- Commenced a trial of weekly case conferences with selected admitting visiting medical officers to enhance multidisciplinary team planning.
- Commenced outpatient programs in addiction, schema and trauma.
- Opened a satellite outpatient clinic at Hurstville to enhance patient access from the inner west to southern Sydney corridor.
- Carole Rodden appointed Acting Clinical Risk and Quality Manager.
- Carmen Xidis appointed Acting Nursing Unit Manager, replacing Carole Rodden.
- Prof Marie-Paule Austin chaired the Expert Advisory Committee for the clinical practice guidelines for perinatal mental health.
- Dr Nicole Reilly (Senior Research Associate Perinatal & Women’s Mental Health Unit) commenced as the Associate Editor for BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, and was an invited reviewer for nine other peer-reviewed journals.
- Dr Ian Smith, Director of Allied Health, appointed Associate Professor at the Australian Catholic University in November 2016.
- Dr Ian Smith was the keynote speaker at the national Mental Health Forum in May 2017.
- Collaboration with Psychotherapy Education Australia to provide psychotherapy students with the opportunity to explore the mother and infant interaction and early intervention in relationship development.
- Continued training by Prof Austin in best-practice models of perinatal psychosocial assessment to St John of God Raphael Services and maternity services, and other maternity hospitals.
- Continued presentations by Prof Austin at general practitioner and other primary health care professional seminars and webinars.
- Director of Mission, Andrew Nee presented to Catholic Health Australia National Conference on the patients’ experience of pastoral services based on Burwood Hospital’s research.
- Formalise and expand the volunteer program.
- Develop an outpatient youth mental health program.
- Establish schedule for case conferences with all the main admitting visiting medical officers.
- Initiate an across-hospital smoking cessation program.
- Introduce a physical health program across inpatient services.
- Revise the consumer wellness / recovery plan.
- Implement the food services improvement plan.
- Refurbishment program for shared rooms.
- Initiate revised staff educational program focused on the recovery model of care, mission, and how to improve the patient experience.
Location: 13 Grantham Street Burwood
Chief Executive Officer: Mr Mark Ayling
Medical Advisory Chair: Prof Marie-Paule Austin
Accredited doctors: 55
Theatre and procedure rooms: ECT Suite
Services: Inpatient and outpatient day programs, ECT, TMS, and community homes for people with chronic mental health issues who would otherwise be homeless.